Public Health: For Students
PubMed is the premier freely available tool for finding journal literature on all aspects of health and public health.
If you are new to PubMed, or want to build on your existing skills, here are some good resources:
- PubMed Quick Start Guide
- PubMed Tutorials
- PubMed Help Manual
- My NCBI Help Manual (personal acccount for saving PubMed searched, citations, and personalizing PubMed functions)
Starting from off campus?
- These instructions will let you access our full text journals and use your MyNCBI account while off campus:
Getting Organized for Literature Searching
This document covers the literature search process in detail.
Finding Full Text
Citation Management Options
Pitt supports use of EndNote, Mendeley, or F1000 to collect, annotate, and cite information sources in your writing.
Mendeley has desktop software, online cloud storage, and mobile devices options. Sign up on the Mendeley website.
F1000 Work allows online saving, annotation, citing, and sharing of article collections. Create an account through the F1000 Work website. .
The guide Managing Your References with EndNote from HSLS has more information about these resources.
Classes in the Libraries
HSLS librarians are available to help you with using the library and other public health information sources.
Day to Day Questions
- Use our Ask a Librarian service for help by phone, e-mail, or chat
- Ask about any aspect of using the library or finding information
Major Project Questions
- Get help finding and managing information for your thesis, masters' essay, dissertation, or paper for publication
- Contact Barb Folb or Pat Weiss, HSLS Liaisons to Public Health, to schedule a consultation
Molecular Biology Information Service
Books on Writing
For a selected list of ebooks on writing and other research topics see http://www.hsls.pitt.edu/resources/books/ebooks?s=Education .
If you have trouble opening any of the Proquest ebooks in this list, check these two websites for troubleshooting advice.
- ProQuest ebooks Support Center
- LibAnswers- FAQs for the RRU Library
- Use this page if you get an error message about multiple page requests when trying to open a ProQuest ebook. This problem can be caused by intalling the Import to Mendeley plug-in, but their is a work around short of uninstalling the plug-in.
PITTCat is the online catalog of all Pitt libraries. Use it to find anything collected by our libraries, including print and electronic books and journals, audiovisual materials, and government documents.
But just to make things interesting, we give you many different flavors of PITTCat:
- The "traditional" online catalog- search by author, title, subject heading, or keywords
- Connects you to online resources
- Answers the questions
- Do we own a particular book or journal?
- What options are available for accessing each online books or journal?
Pitt Resources Quick Search
- Accessible from the HSLS home page
- HSLS resources will be the first results
- Organizes the resources into categories
- Accessible from the ULS home page (big search box in the top middle of the page)
- Simultaneously searches the library catalog as well as online books and journals available from Pitt. A good tool for assessing the range of information sources available at Pitt on a topic