Systematic Review Program: HSLS Support
Librarians are included as authors on systematic review publications based on their contributions to the review:
- Designing and conducting literature searches
- Documenting search methods
- Writing the search methods section of the paper
These constitute a major scholarly contribution to the study.
Selected HSLS systematic reviews and scoping reviews
Duerinckx N, Burkhalter H, Engberg SJ, Kirsch M, Klem ML, Sereika SM, DeSimone P, De Geest S, Dobbels F; B-SERIOUS consortium. Correlates and Outcomes of Posttransplant Smoking in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients: A Systematic
Literature Review and Meta-analysis. Transplantation. 2016 Jul 29. [Epub ahead of print].
Carter A, Borrero S, Wessel C, Washington DL, Bean-Mayberry B, Corbelli J; VA Women's Health Disparities Research Workgroup. Racial and Ethnic Health Care Disparities Among Women in the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System: A Systematic
Review. Womens Health Issues. 2016 Jul-Aug;26(4):401-9.
Primack BA, Carroll MV, Weiss PM, Shihadeh AL, Shensa A, Farley ST, Fine MJ, Eissenberg T, Nayak S. Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Inhaled Toxicants from Waterpipe and Cigarette Smoking. Public Health Rep. 2016 Jan-Feb;131(1):76-85.
Stahl ST, Rodakowski J, Saghafi EM, Park M, Reynolds CF, Dew MA. Systematic review of dyadic and family-oriented interventions for late-life depression. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2016 Sep;31(9):963-73. d Epub 2016 Jan 21.
Click B, Ketchum AM, Turner R, Whitcomb DC, Papachristou GI, Yadav D. The role of apheresis in hypertriglyceridemia-induced acute pancreatitis: A systematic review. Pancreatology. 2015 Jul-Aug;15(4):313-20. Epub 2015 Mar 10.
Staphylococcus aureus screening and decolonization in orthopaedic surgery and reduction of surgical site infections. Chen AF, Wessel CB, Rao N. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013 Jul;471(7):2383-99. Epub 2013 Mar 6.
A review of the effectiveness of antidepressant medications for depressed nursing home residents. Boyce RD, Hanlon JT, Karp JF, Kloke J, Saleh A, Handler SM. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012 May;13(4):326-31. Epub 2011 Oct 21.
Does therapeutic hypothermia benefit adult cardiac arrest patients presenting with non-shockable initial rhythms?: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized and non-randomized studies. Kim YM, Yim HW, Jeong SH, Klem ML, Callaway CW. Resuscitation. 2012 Feb;83(2):188-96. Epub 2011 Aug 9.
Review and meta-analysis of couple-oriented interventions for chronic illness. Martire LM, Schulz R, Helgeson VS, Small BJ, Saghafi EM. Ann Behav Med. 2010 Dec;40(3):325-42.
Parenteral calcium for intensive care unit patients. Forsythe RM, Wessel CB, Billiar TR, Angus DC, Rosengart MR. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008 Oct 8;(4):CD006163.
Things to consider
How can HSLS librarians help?
Assistance in the development phase:
- Finding any existing systematic reviews on your topic
- Recommending literature databases and grey literature sources to search
- Developing search related sections of the protocol
- Recommendations on management of references
- Constructing the primary search and translating it appropriately for additional databases
- Using appropriate methodology search filters, preferably validated
- Saving searches so they can be rerun for systematic review updates
Documentation of Methodology:
- Capturing search per PRISMA Standards; Item 7 Information Sources; Item 8: Search
Acquiring full text resources:
- We can advise you on all options for accessing full text items in University of Pittsburgh collections
- Use HSLS Document Delivery to acquire items not at the University of Pittsburgh
HSLS Research, Instruction, and Clinical Information Services librarians
Request systematic review help
To request a systematic review consultation:
What consultation services can be provided? see HSLS Support
- University of Pittsburgh faculty, staff and students
- UPMC Residents and Fellows
- UPMC physicians with University of Pittsburgh faculty appointments