Transgender Health Care, Words Matter: Gender Identity & Gender Expression: Display Case Contents & Credits
- Healthcare Equality Index 2017. Human Rights Campaign Foundation. 2017. - 80 pages.
- The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People: Building a Foundation for Better Understanding. Institute of Medicine, Board on the Health of Select Populations, Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health Issues and Research Gaps and Opportunities. National Academies Press, Jul 24, 2011. – 366 pages.
- “I Want to be Like Nature Made Me” Medically Unnecessary Surgeries on Intersex Children in the US. Human Rights Watch. June 25, 2017. - 178 pages. ISBN 978-1-6231-35027.
- Injustice at Every Turn A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey Full Report. Jaime M. Grant JM, Mottet LA, Tanis J. The National Transgender Discrimination Survey Report. The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the National Center for Transgender Equality. 2011. - 228 pages.
- National Geographic. The Gender Issue. Special Issue: Gender Revolution. January 2017.
Guidance, Guidelines & Standards
- Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient- and Family-Centered Care for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Community: A Field Guide. The Joint Commission. April 3, 2014. – 99 pages.
- American Psychological Association. Guidelines for psychological practice with transgender and gender nonconforming people. Am Psychol. 2015 Dec;70(9):832-64.
- Clinical Guidelines for the Management of Disorders of Sex Development in Childhood. Consortium on the Management of Disorders of Sex Development. Copyright © Intersex Society of North America (ISNA) 2006; copyright assigned to Accord Alliance 2008. – 73 pages
- Committee on Adolescent Health Care. Committee Opinion No. 685: Care for Transgender Adolescents. Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Jan;129(1):e11-e16.
- Hembree WC, Cohen-Kettenis PT, Gooren L, Hannema SE, Meyer WJ, Murad MH, Rosenthal SM, Safer JD,Tangpricha V, Sjoen GT. Endocrine Treatment of Gender-Dysphoric/ Gender-Incongruent Persons: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, November 2017, 102(11):1–35.
- Hughes IA, Houk C, Ahmed SF, Lee PA; Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society/European Society for Paediatric Endocrinology Consensus Group. Consensus statement on management of intersex disorders. J Pediatr Urol. 2006 Jun;2(3):148-62.
- Implementing Curricular and Institutional Climate Changes to Improve Health Care for Individuals Who and LGBT, Gender Nonconforming, or Born with DSD: A Resource for Medical Education. Edited by Andrew D. Hollenabch, Kristen L. Eckstrand, Alice Dreger. 1st edition. Association of American Medical Colleges. 2014. - 280 pages.
- Lee PA, Nordenström A, Houk CP, Ahmed SF, Auchus R, Baratz A, Baratz Dalke K, Liao LM, Lin-Su K, Looijenga LH 3rd, Mazur T, Meyer-Bahlburg HF, Mouriquand P, Quigley CA, Sandberg DE, Vilain E, Witchel S; Global DSD Update Consortium. Global Disorders of Sex Development Update since 2006: Perceptions, Approach and Care. Horm Res Paediatr. 2016;85(3):158-80.
- Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People. 7th version. the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH). Available in the following languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Croatian, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, Spanish.
Biographies & Personal Stories
- Ellin A. Transgender Patients Face Challenges at the Hospital. The New York Times. Feb 16, 2016.
- Ouyang H. A Transgender Learning Gap in the Emergency Room. The New York Times April 13, 2017.
- Trans/portraits: voices from transgender communities / Jackson Wright Shultz. Hanover, New Hampshire : Dartmouth College Press, 
- Trans voices: becoming who you are / Declan Henry; foreword by Professor Stephen Whittle, OBE; afterward by Jane Fae. London, UK; Philadelphia, PA: Jessica Kingsley Publishing, 2017.
Education & the Health Care Team
- What We Wish Our Doctors Knew (Brochure). InterAct: Advocates for Intersex Youth.
- Vance SR Jr, Deutsch MB, Rosenthal SM, Buckelew SM. Enhancing Pediatric Trainees' and Students' Knowledge in Providing Care to Transgender Youth. J Adolesc Health. 2017 Apr;60(4):425-430.
- Turban J, Ferraiolo T, Martin A, Olezeski C. Ten Things Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Youth Want Their Doctors to Know. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2017 Apr;56(4):275-277.
- Davidge-Pitts C, Nippoldt TB, Danoff A, Radziejewski L, Natt N. Transgender Health in Endocrinology: Current Status of Endocrinology Fellowship Programs and Practicing Clinicians. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017 Apr 1;102(4):1286-1290.
- Berli JU, Knudson G, Fraser L, Tangpricha V, Ettner R, Ettner FM, Safer JD, Graham J, Monstrey S, Schechter L. What Surgeons Need to Know About Gender Confirmation Surgery When Providing Care for Transgender Individuals: A Review. JAMA Surg. 2017 Apr 1;152(4):394-400.
- Newsome C, Colip L, Sharon N, Conklin J. Incorporating a pharmacist into an interprofessional team providing transgender care under a medical home model. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2017 Feb 1;74(3):135-139.
- Russell S, More F. Addressing Health Disparities via Coordination of Care and Interprofessional Education: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health and Oral Health Care. Dent Clin North Am. 2016 Oct;60(4):891-906.
- Hyderi A, Angel J, Madison M, Perry LA, Hagshenas L. Transgender patients: Providing sensitive care. J Fam Pract. 2016 Jul;65(7):450-61.
- Carabez R, Pellegrini M, Mankovitz A, Eliason M, Scott M. Does your organization use gender inclusive forms? Nurses' confusion about trans* terminology. J Clin Nurs. 2015 Nov;24(21-22):3306-17.
- White W, Brenman S, Paradis E, Goldsmith ES, Lunn MR, Obedin-Maliver J, Stewart L, Tran E, Wells M, Chamberlain LJ, Fetterman DM, Garcia G. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Patient Care: Medical Students' Preparedness and Comfort. Teach Learn Med. 2015;27(3):254-63.
Interactive Maps & Videos
- Gender Identity & Expression Map: Explore our interactive map to discover the many different but related identities and expressions that make up the idea of “gender.” by Antonia Clifford on 18 March 2015.
- Sex Unknown. PBS Nova Online. originally broadcast on Tuesday, October 30, 2001. The film investigates the complicated world of gender identity.
Allys & Parents
- Being transgender : what you should know / Thomas E. Bevan, PhD. ; foreword by Dallas Denny.Santa Barbara, California : Praeger, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, .
- Handbook for Parents. Consortium on the Management of Disorders of Sex Development. Copyright © Intersex Society of North America (ISNA) 2006; copyright assigned to Accord Alliance 2008. All rights reserved. – 143 pages
- INTERSEX 101 Everything you want to know! InterAct: Advocates for Intersex Youth.
- What We Wish Our Friends Knew. (Brochure). InterAct: Advocates for Intersex Youth.
- What We Wish Our Parents Knew. (Brochure). InterAct: Advocates for Intersex Youth.
- Tips for Allies of Transgender People. Updated July 2017 / Adapted from MIT's "Action Tips for Allies of Trans People." GLAAD ((formerly the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation).
Display Case Credits
- Personal Biographies from Wikipedia.
- Definitions from Appendix A. Definitions. American Psychological Association. Guidelines for psychological practice with transgender and gender nonconforming people. Am Psychol. 2015 Dec;70(9):832-64.
- Pictures and Captions. How Science Is Helping Us Understand Gender: Freed from the binary of boy and girl, gender identity is a shifting landscape. Can science help us navigate? National Geographic Jan 2017