What is an ERN?
An electronic research notebook (ERN) records the details of research experiments, but with additional features not possible when using traditional paper lab notebooks.
Why use an ERN?
- Documentation of experiments (as with paper versions)
- Location independent (cloud-based)
- Save more types of information
- Searchable notes
- Secure backup
- Share notebooks
- Traceable versions
What is LabArchives?
- LabArchives (LA) is the Enterprise ERN selected by the University of Pittsburgh--meaning that it's available to Pitt faculty, staff, & students for no charge!
- Information on the selection process.
- Pitt researchers have access to both the Research and Education editions of LA.
- The video below provides an introduction to LA features (2:40 run time; select CC for subtitles).
- A secure, cloud-based collaborative platform for the storage, organization, communication, sharing of scientific data – each version is date/time stamped & stored permanently to protect each lab’s IP and comply with data requirements
Research productivity tool for scientific data – search years worth of work or view experimental data in real-time, from any computer or mobile device
A “living repository” – a cross between a data repository and Lab Notebook combining the features of collaboration software, wikis, search engines, data storage and software tools
How to access LabArchives?
- Sign on to my.pitt.edu
- In the search box on the top right enter "LabArchives"
- Click on the Electronic Research Notebooks purple icon under search results
- You will be redirected to your LabArchives notebooks
Using LabArchives website
- Navigate to labarchives.com
- Click on the blue "ELN Sign In" box
- If prompted for a LabArchives Partner Site Login, scroll to and select "University of Pittsburgh"
- Click on the "Go to your Institution's Login" box
Using a Mobile device
- A mobile app is available for iOS and Android
Support for LabArchives
- Request customized training for you or your research group on:
- Organizing notebooks
- Setting access permissions
- Sharing files / folders / entries
- Customizing features
- Annotating images
- Attend an ERN class
- Questions? Contact us
Pitt Information Technology
Working with Sensitive Data?
Data classified as Low or Moderate Risk may be stored in an ERN.
If your data meets the classification of High Risk, you must consult with Pitt IT Security to determine what additional controls must be implemented when using LabArchives.
Contact the Pitt IT Help Desk at 412-624-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request a consultation.