What are "How-To Talks by Postdocs?"
Is your CV in dire need of teaching experience, but you don’t have the time or opportunity to teach an entire course?
Then this program is designed especially for you!
The “How-To Talks by Postdocs” series provides a low-stakes, minimal time commitment opportunity for you to gain teaching experience for which you will receive constructive feedback, a letter of acknowledgement, and optional videotaping of your 1-hour (or less) “how-to” style session. See examples of previous talks in the menu bar.
The particular topic you choose is entirely up to you and can be anything remotely related to biological sciences. See a list of possible topics in the left menu, including several suggestions that are broadly related to STEM. However, you don’t need to be in the biomedical or health sciences to participate.
- be a good mentor
- create a quality scientific poster
- review an paper for publication in a journal
- prepare for an interview
- maintain work-life balance as a postdoc
- use HPLC in your research (or any other technique)
- interpret mass spec data (or IR, NMR, or any other technique)
- handle cheating in the classroom
- etc – get creative!
Actively searching for instructors on any of these data-related topics:
- Python / R / SPSS / your choice
- Julia Programming Language
- Data Visualization
- Data Cleaning
- Cataloging / Managing Image Files
- Depositing Data
- Writing Data Management Plans
- Sharing Your Data
- Asking Others for Their Data
Articles & Presentations
- Gau KH, Dillon P, Donaldson T, Wahl SE, Iwema CL. Partnering with postdocs: a library model for supporting postdoctoral researchers and educating the academic research community. Journal of the Medical Library Association, 108(3), 480-486, July 2020. ISSN 1558-9439. doi: https://doi.org/10.5195/jmla.2020.902.
HSLS Update Articles
- “How-To” Talks by Postdocs, Now on YouTube, Jan 2016
- Postdocs + HSLS MolBio = “How-To” Talks, Sept 2014
- Postdoc Talks: A New “How to” Training Series, Sept 2013
Medical Library Association Annual Meeting Presentations
- Gau, K., Dillon, P., Donaldson, T., & Iwema, C. L. Crafting a Mosaic: Partnerships Between Health Sciences Librarians, Postdocs, and More. (Lightning Talk) May 2016
- Iwema, C. L., & Chattopadhyay, A. Partnering w/Postdocs: a library-hosted "how to" series taught by postdocs. May 2014